Sunday, May 11, 2008

Momma's Day

Tribute to Elna Cottam Creek
Let me tell you about my mom:
She is Mother to 7 biological children and Mama Creek to numerous friends of said children.
She loves Avocados.
She is a grandmother extraordinaire and now great-grandmother extrados.
She overcame her fear of water by taking swim lessons in her 60's.
She lives a Christlike life by loving and serving as He would.
She began a tradition of "X" presents to be opened on Christmas Eve.
She enjoys the varied musical talents of Andy Williams and STOMP (but not at the same time).
She will not put a milk carton on the dinner table.
She refuses to whistle the tune "Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer".
She really likes eating pineapple cream cheese on a Ritz.
She is a master seamstress and quilter.
She got up every morning and fixed a hot breakfast (often "zoom",
cracked wheat cereal) for me prior to early morning seminary.
She holds a majority share in "Hallmark" stock.
She makes the very best homemade fudge.
She stayed with my cherished little brood so I could travel to Florida & date Lane for 2 weeks.
She loves Disneyland and the Tetons-just as much as my dad does.
She is an amazing birthday cake baker and decorator.
She was a cheerleader in High School and now cheers for her family!
She mistook the can of Lysol spray for hairspray only once!
She is happy with her morning cocoa and toast.
She allowed us to have cherry pit spitting contests in the living room.
She sewed formal after formal after formal for my High School dances.
She enjoys flower and vegetable gardening.
She made Sunday evenings synonymous with canned peaches, toast and Ed Sullivan.
She is a terrific model of a happy and contented wife.
She has always found nobility in motherhood and joy in womanhood.
She is my heroine!
Happy 54th Mother's Day, Momma
Love, Carolyn


6 comments:

Erin said...

She is definitely amazing. We're so glad that they live in Utah now. Happy Mother's Day to you too! I couldn't have picked a better mama-in-law!

Jami said...

i would agree with that. i have a great grandma. however, i think my mommy is absolutely amazing. i couldnt ask for anyone better. love you

JACK's house said...

What an amazing woman--gee must be in the genes! :) Love ya

britni jean said...

what a great daughter you are!! i sure love your mama!! and i love my mama too!! thank you for making life so fun and memorable and for being such a great example to me!

legrizzle said...

Amen to that! You are "spot on". Thanks for that tribute to our amazing mother. I love you Carolyn.
Cecile

Tom and Shalaun said...

Before I was actually a mom I had this ideal that I, too, would get up in the morning to make breakfast for my husband/kids. I'm lucky to do it once a week (and I don't have 7 kids). Kudos to Grandma Creek!