Saturday, November 1, 2008

On being Carolyn...

(I got this idea from reading Carrie's and Erin's blogs)
...50 random facts about me at age 50!

Lessons my parents taught me: make happy memories, go to Disneyland, remember birthdays

Childhood memories: Creek of the Week, spoons, kick-the-can, toots (not the kind you may be thinking), X presents, coloring contests and talent shows

Failed attempts: school play, b-ball team, cheerleader, ensemble singers, sadie hawkins date, scuba lessons, former marriage

HS highlights: Arctic Circle lunches w/ Lora, date with Nick Dooley, Prom Queen, Pep Club Pres, Stake ping pong doubles champ w/ Lora

Music: Chicago, Beatles, Elvis, Simon & Garfunkle, Tears for Fears

I could just scream: rodents, forgetting things, my hair, debt, injustice, verbal abuse, rats in my hair

I need: 8 hrs sleep each night, my bed made, dishes done, bargain shopping

I can cook: recipes with chicken

I love to see: all my children receive the blessing of the temple

Favorite flowers: bird of paradise, yellow roses, daffodils
Comfort foods: soups, salads, grilled cheese sandwiches, peanut M&M's

Happy thoughts: family, friends, fireworks at Lake Sacajawea, dipping french fries in a Wendy's frosty

Career advice: do something you are good at, you love to do and that helps others

Proud to be: LDS, a momma, curious, happy

I wish I could: write better, read faster, roll my R's

I can live without: scary movies, baseball, arguing debate shows disguised as talk news

Amazing: Jimmy Stewart, Machu Picchu, Frank Lloyd Wright designs, the Pyramids, fireflies

I dislike: canned peas, liver, credit cards, soap operas, violence as entertainment, trash magazines

Fondness for: decorative tissue boxes, placemats, crayola markers, souvenir pins, colorful tableware, Space Needle lunches
Movies: Babe, Groundhog Day, You've Got Mail, The Family Man, It's a Wonderful Life

Unexpected gifts: Lane, Hill Cumorah Pageant participant 1978, contact with family during mission to NYC

Best dates: Los Hermanos Oct 1995, Paul McCartney concert 6th row, Yo-Yo Ma at Carnegie Hall

Songs: Be Still My Soul, When You Wish Upon a Star, Because You Loved Me, In my Daughter's Eyes

Top trips: Florida Aug 1996!!! Brazil '99 & '02, Alaska '01, Spain '03
I'd like to: play the piano, speak Spanish, learn to juggle

States I've lived in: Washington, Utah, Florida, Arkansas, New York

Preferences: kettle corn over buttered, lamps over ceiling lights, crunchy over creamy PB, soft over firm mattress

Simple pleasures: jumping rope, coloring, being barefoot, a kneaded eraser, a fuzzy robe, candlelight, holding the remote

Vacation spots: Mazatlan, anything Disney, Tetons, a beach
My heros: Jesus, my parents, Lane, President Hinckley, Abinadi

Tastes: potatoes, pink grapefruit juice, cucmbers on sandwiches, berries provolone cheese

I've been to: all 50 states, the United Nations, 26 temples, 8 foreign countries

I'm grateful for: Easter, quick temple cancellation, motherhood, grandmommy-hood, eyeglasses
Awesome sights: Iguazu Falls, Montserrate, Blueridge Mountains, the Redwoods, Delicate Arch
I've gotten all wet: parasailing, snorkling, jet-skiing, deep-sea fishing

Road trips: Nauvoo, Victoria BC, San Francisco, Quebec

Design favorites: color, contemporary, modern, simple, clean lines, hardwood floors

On location:
Horseback riding in Monument Valley, all-you-can-eat crabbing on the Oregon Coast, Denali glacier landing, Haleakala Crater to coast bikeride

Indulgences: chocolate covered cinnamon bears, white hot chocolate w/ squirt chocolate whipped cream

National Parks: Yosemite, Tetons, Olympic Rainforest, Monument Valley, Mt. Rushmore

I've seen: a bullfight, sunrise/sunset coast to coast in Florida, the ball drop in Times Square

My overused phrase: "what were you thinking?"

Cool happenings: front row seats at Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, Mission call to NYC Public Affairs, ziplining in Kuwaii
I hate to love: sudokus, HGTV, staying up late

NYC fav spots: Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge, Manhattan Temple, Wicked, rim walk, Liberty Island, our apartment
I enjoy: sitting, hugging grandkids, walking as exercise, Spring

Hobbies: crocheting, reading non-fiction, floral arranging, decorating, cooking with chocolate, spoiling Lane

What if I could: waltz, bake amazing cinnamon rolls, build a tree house

I can't: sleep with the closet doors open, go 2 more years w/o a Walmart

I'm blessed by: parents, siblings, YW camp, seminary, Book of Mormon, patriarchal blessing, BYU, RS, marriage, parenthood, mission

Looking forward to: being an active parent/grandparent, some travel, making DVD's of photos and video clips, another mission someday
(More than you ever wanted to know.)


4 comments:

Jami said...

i loved it. thanks. it made me smile. youre stinking cute. well, im off to class again. love you.

JACK's house said...

We love you anyways, now I know several more intricacies about you to smile at. :)

britni jean said...

that was fun to read. i think i knew most of that stuff and was even a part of some of them. i love you mama! see you in 21 days!

Lora said...

This is great Carolyn, Nicki looked at it from my blog and she thought it was very cute also. She said she didn't realize that Jamie was in Logan, (although i am sure I told her), Anyway loved this post. Your are beautiful. Love ya Lora