Wednesday, November 30, 2016

November 2016

Things that happened in November...

Two weeks ago I was released from the stake YW presidency.  
I loved serving with the YW leaders throughout the stake.  

I miss it.  But I will love whatever comes next.  
With more time on my hands I have decided to seriously 
study Spanish, relearn the saxophone, complete 
unfinished projects, READ, and stand by my man.  
Oh, and pick up my paint brush.  
Our flamingo bedroom needs more pink in the bathroom.



Today, I found myself at church early, before the translation headsets 
and transmitters were available.  I was seated comfortably but soon 
boxed in the center pew of the chapel when the Bishop announced 
the meeting would be primarily in Spanish.  Hard as I tried I understood 
nothing.  NADA.  I’ve lived here 2 1/2 years and I still understand 
nothing.  Is there hope for me?  

At the invitation of Cam & Kim we joined them for a few days in DC, 
where Cam had a banking conference and Kim showed us how to 
navigate the Washington Mall on bicycles, at 30 minute intervals.  
I loved it soooo much! The weather was perfect!  
(Like my new ‘do’?  I cut my own hair - yikes!  Big mistake!)
 Smithsonian love.  A few highlights for me.
The literal Star Spangled Banner flew over Fort McHenry, Maryland, 
and inspired what would become the national anthem.  
Originally 30 X 42 FEET!, it is missing 8 feet and 1 star, 
cut off in hundreds of small pieces and given away as 
souvenirs reserved for "veterans, government officials, 
and other honored citizens...had we given all that 
we have been importuned for little would be left to show” 
(owner's daughter's quote, 1800’s).   
In this very fragile state it is displayed in a darkened 
room where photographs are no longer permitted. 



We have a new president.  I received this email.
You’re welcome.


We enjoyed Thanksgiving burritos in Ecuador (Nov 17-28).  
Upon our return we had a teeny-tiny size traditional feast, 
nearly as tiny as my brother's mini painting.  Haha.

We mailed our thankful turkey handprints to our children.

Lane: 
grateful for Carolyn, 
opportunities to serve, 
our little house, 
the ability to explore the planet, 
and good kids.

Carolyn: 
grateful for strength, 
friends & family, 
American freedom, 
traveling with Lane, 
having enough to share.



I am especially grateful to have my dream job.  
I wish this was my quote because this is how I feel.  
(CS Lewis gets credit for it.)
"The homemaker has the ultimate career.  
All other careers exist for one purpose only - 
and that is to support the ultimate career.”  



No comments: